Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tiger Droppings For the Weekend of 6/11/10


Just a couple things that the voices in my head have been screaming about the past couple days:

Nepotism? Naw, Not Here
I admit that I know dick about the MLB Amateur Draft every year. Maybe I’ve been brainwashed by the NFL and how important draft picks are. And you know, I can see taking a flyer in the late rounds on the manager or an office employee’s kid. The White Sox drafted Ozzie Guillen’s kid late. Alex Avila has turned into a surprise in Detroit after being drafted by the team his Dad works for. That’s fine.

But was it necessary to use the 8th round pick on Jim Leyland’s kid this year? And after that, was it necessary to draft Rick Knapp’s kid, Lloyd McClendon’s kid, Tiger scout Barney Miller’s kid (what, Fish didn’t have a kid out there?), and Justin Verlander’s brother?

Was it necessary to recently draft the brothers of Nate Robertson, Joel Zumaya, and Rick Porcello? How about drafting Avila’s other kid last year? This stuff is amazing to me.

We have jack and squat in our minor league system other than some scattered good pitching prospects. I know the MLB draft goes on seemingly forever. I believe there are 845 rounds or something. But the constant nepotism in Detroit’s recent drafting history is not helping anything one bit. How about restocking our minor league system with real players that you've scouted instead of taking the bat boy's second cousin because you want to make him happy? Knapp already said that his kid isn't probably going to sign. What's the point of the draft, anyway, if the team's not going to take it seriously?

This Week In F-ck You, Jim Leyland
3-0 White Sox victory today. 8th inning, bases loaded, 1 out. Our #3 hitter is due up. The thing is, instead of moving Carlos Guillen up to the three-hole today with Magglio needing another day off due to his ouchie, Jim just bats Raburn 3rd with his sub .200 average and limited ability to hit a baseball this year. Raburn pops out weakly, Cabrera swings at a pitch in the dirt to end the inning, and Fatty Jenks closes the door in the ninth.

How hard is it to make a new batting order? How hard is it to move a good hitter up in the lineup when someone that usually bats there needs a day off? Logic would tell you to get your better hitters more at bats than your struggling ones. Carlos was .500 in his career against John Danks entering today’s game. Jim does this when Jackson gets a day off and puts AAA batting superstar Don Kelly at leadoff, too, sometimes. It infuriates me to no end.

Look, I like Raburn. I’m one of the few that isn’t calling for his head. But he has as much business batting third in a major league lineup as I do right now.

F-ck you, Jim Leyland.

Other Stuff

-Time for a quick check on the Patron Saint of this blog, overpaid Marlins pitching great, Nate Robertson. Nate’s last appearance was Saturday, 6/5, where he got shelled for 6 earned runs on 7 hits in 4 2/3 innings pitched. For the year, he’s 4-5 with a 4.83 ERA and a 1.53 WHIP. He should be due to pitch tomorrow. Can’t wait. I miss you, Nate. Calling Don Kelly and Brandon Inge names is fun, but it’s just not the same.

-Congrats to Big Al from Bless You Boys and The Wayne Fontes Experience on his successful back surgery. Not only is Al always an entertaining read, but he’s one of the nicest guys I’ve met in the Tiger blogosphere. Enjoy the pain pills while they’re available, my friend. And get well soon.

-Dan Feldman, from PistonPowered.com sent me an email asking that I post a link to his site where he’s running a poll to see who is the most hated Detroit pro athlete, as voted by Detroit fans. There you go, Dan. What, no Don Kelly? Dammit.

I voted for Bertuzzi. He’s a prick.

-As you may have noticed, I'm playing around with the look of my dumb blog again. Bear with me. Thanks.

That’s it for today. I’ll be back in a couple days with something that should be interesting. You might even learn something about Tigers history that you didn’t know.

Don’t be afraid.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love your blog, and appreciate especially what you said about changing the batting order. Have you seen who's batting third today against the Pirates? Your favorite...Don Kelly! Really Jim Leyland?

Rogo said...

And I thought he was nuts when he would bat Clete third.

Again. Fuck you, Jim Leyland.

I'm convinced that managers really can't win a game for a team. But they sure can help to lose them.