Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Down 3-1, Is There Hope?

No jokes tonight, kids. No silliness. Just...yeah.

This one was hard to swallow. Lamont will take blame for sending Cabrera. (He made the right call.) Leyland will take heat for walking Beltre. (I would have pitched to him.) Porcello will take heat for repeating his pickoff mistake of Game 163. (Moron.) But finding a scapegoat doesn't change a damn thing. The Tigers are out of mulligans and must win the next three, the final two in Texas, if they're to make the World Series.

They're injured. The pen is gassed. They're facing a team that is much more talented than they are. But they've amazed us before and still might have some fight left. Verlander goes tomorrow at home. You know he'll be amped. Scherzer has been great in the postseason. He can do so again in Game Six. And if it gets to a Game Seven? There's no one I would rather see on the mound than Doug Fister right now.

If only they could score some f'n runs.

Do or die, Game Five is tomorrow. I'll be there, Section 116, Row 35. Waving my stupid white towel. But not a white flag.

Yeah, I still have hope. Whatever. See you on the other side.

12 comments:

Jay Hathaway said...

The idea of Fister pitching game 7 sounds like the best thing that could possibly happen at this point.  Keep the faith, and have fun tomorrow.

Kevin said...

Exactly, I love your optimism. My dad is acting like he is heading to the gallows. It aint over yet and I'm excited to see what lays ahead. JV,Scherzer and Fister. You have to like our chances. Now, if only we could get some more clutch knocks.

Kevin said...

Put Dirks in center. It can't be any worse than Jackson. My question is: Is Leyland calling the pickoff attempts, too? It wouldn't surprise me. He makes some of the worst decisions. And is anyone else sick of the intentional walk? Doesn't it always seem like it ends up costing us a game?

SRogo said...

Dirks is terrible. Leave Austin alone. With abortions on defense in left and right, AJax's defense is worth it all even if he K's 5 times in a game.

Kevin said...

I haven't noticed anything significant from Jackson on the defensive side either. Maybe I missed something.

Kevin #2 said...

And this is a different Kevin from the one who commented on Jay Hathaway's comment. From here on I shall be known as Kevin #2.

Riotgear16 said...

Well, the Tigers did come back after being down 3-1 in the World Series in '68. My mom was actually at that game and pissed...born in Missouri, my family grew up Cardinal fans, and I'm the only convert after moving to MI at the age of 5. I still have high hopes we can redeem ourselves from the 2006 2nd place finish and knock the Cards around. But first, 3 must-win games. I have faith.

Alex said...

ok...Verlander
pitches a shutout. Mad Max confuses the Rangers hitters by showing up
with two eyes the same color...and also pitches a shutout. and then
Fister teaches the team how to Dougie and the tigers advance to the WS.

Russell White said...

This smells like the 2006 world series.  And that smells like a hippie after a week long stale patchouli and $3 hooker binge.  I pray to Jebus I'm wrong. Just score more than 3 f'n runs...

Laura said...

I think you missed something.

Kevin #2 said...

Again. Austin Jackson. Good job on the four strikeouts in one game and three errors in the ALCS. You deserve a spot leading off on this roster.

Kevin #2 said...

I should amend this. I haven't noticed anything significant in the postseason from Jackson on the defensive side.